Sunday 1 December 2013

A make all for me......

......picked this advent house up at work a few weeks ago
and eventually got around to decorating the other day.  As the theme over at Country View Crafts Challenge is Bah Humbug (which we decided was anything Christmas!) I decided to use this as my first make for the challenge. I started off by painting it white with a base coat of acrylic, then I added a little Iced Spruce and Evergreen Bough Distress Paint.
Once I'd got the main part of the house coloured, I added a little stamping and embossing to add a little extra interest.  I used a crackle stamp and a brocade pattern stamp but you could use a text stamp, festive foliage or anything that took your fancy, it's just to add some extra interest and texture.
Once I'd done that I set to work on the drawer fronts, again using Distress Paints........Iced Spruce, Evergreen Bough, Festive Berries and Aged Mahogany.
Once the drawers were all painted, I used some gilding wax to add a touch of gold and added the numbers which I cut with Tim Holtz's Alphabetical Strip Die.
Decided to add a snowy roof to my little house so mixed up some white acrylic with some light modelling paste and spread it over the roof with a palette knife and whilst it was still wet sprinkled some clear glitter onto it for some frosty sparkle. Also added a little festive colour with a couple of Poinsettia's made with a Spellbinders die and some holly cut with Tim Holtz's Festive Greenery strip die.


Have a feeling I'd like to add a little robin somewhere, so I'm thinking this might develop a little more through December but for now I'm quite happy with my Advent House :)
Oh and in case you were wondering what's in the drawers, well this little house is all mine (you don't have to be a kid to have an advent calendar/house do you?) and so it's my favourite...........


Happy December!!
Donna xx

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous project Donna - I love the colours and the crackle and snow look wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful altered house and lovely surprises in the drawers yummy

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely loved the picture over at CVC - and how gorgeous to see some more details - an absolutely fabulous make, thank you for the inspiration.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Hi thanks for stopping by